Tern Verge D9 2023 Folding Bike
Tern specialise in folding bikes and folding electric bikes. Their prime motive other than to provide you with an efficient and user-friendly cycling experience is to help preserve the environment. You will find many well-considered features on all of their models and they are an absolute pleasure to ride.
The Verge D9 is a trailblazer. Born out of our 451 Verge design philosophy, it has bigger race wheels, T-Tuned™ geometry, and a wide 1x drivetrain. It’s about as much value as we could condense into one bike, and it’s ready for any upgrades you can throw at it.
- Verge quality, style, and performance at an entry-level price point
- Shimano hydraulic disc brakes for all-weather stopping power
- Folds in under 10 seconds—fits under a desk
- Rides with exceptional comfort and stability thanks to our unique technology and T-Tuned geometry
- 451 wheels deliver a full-sized ride with minuscule impact on the folded size
- Shimano Acera drivetrain, with 11-36 Tooth for all-purpose versatility
- Tern Porter™ saddle for easy shoulder-mounted bike carrying
- Optional fenders for rainy days
OCL+™ Frame Joint
A heavy-duty update to our iconic OCL frame hinge, the OCL+ is built to exceed ISO 4210 and EN 15194 testing requirements. Leveraging the hinge design of the long-tail Tern Cargo Node, the OCL+ features a single-shaft design, advanced welding techniques, and robust gussets, so it stays stiff and strong during even the fastest commutes.
With N-Fold Technology, Tern bikes fold small and fast—in three easy steps. It’s simple enough for anybody to master. And with the handlepost folded to the outside of the package, Tern bikes can also roll when folded for easy transport.
The rear half of Tern frames use a patented 3D structure we call DoubleTruss to build in extra stiffness. It helps resist torsional forces so our bikes flex less. That means increased stiffness and much better power transfer from the pedals to the rear wheel. The proof’s in the ride.
At Tern, we endeavor to build fast-folding bikes that ride like full-sized bikes. Our T-Tuned geometry is the culmination of our commitment. We’ve tweaked the wheelbase, rake, and seat-tube angle of our design to deliver the most confident and stable ride of any bike in our lineup. Ride one and try it. Take your hands off the handlebars if you’re feeling bold.
Dropouts are often overlooked, but a good dropout goes a long way. Our Quadric dropout is built taller, so your disc brakes are protected inside the frame. The design makes the eyelets for mudguards, racks, and our clip system more user-friendly and accessible than ever before. We even included a mount for a sturdy rear kickstand.
Physis™ 3D Handlepost
Five patented technologies and unique manufacturing technology add up to the strongest, stiffest folding handlepost available. The Physis uses a special manufacturing process called 3D forging, which forms the post from a single piece of aluminum, eliminating all welds.
Syntace VRO Stem
Your bike should adapt to fit you―not the other way around. This adjustable stem allows you to position your handlebars further, for a more stretched and aggressive riding position, or up higher for increased comfort.
Velo Ergonomic LockOn Grips
ErgoLock grips are nice and wide for excellent palm support so your hands can relax during the ride. They also lock in place on the handlebars so they’re always in the correct position, unlike non-locking grips which tend to rotate out of position.
One of our favorite ways to get a Tern bike up a set of stairs is to hook the nose of the saddle over a shoulder. It’s fast and easy, but the nose of the saddle can be hard. We solved this pain-point by re-engineering the underside of the saddle into a comfortable shoulder pad. It cushions and “grips” your shoulder so your hands are free to carry other things—like a backpack or the weekend’s groceries.
Shimano Hydraulic Disc Brakes
Shimano hydraulic disc brakes deliver powerful stopping power in all weather conditions with the touch of a finger.
Shimano Shadow Derailleur
Originally developed for mountain bikes—for extra durability and to avoid catching on trail debris—the Shadow derailleur is streamlined and incredibly resilient, which comes in handy when you need to transport your folded bike. Whether your bike is bagged on the subway or riding in the trunk of your car, everything is neatly tucked away.
1x (“One-By”) Drivetrain
There’s a revolution in drivetrains across the industry. Thanks to the recent introduction of hyper-wide cassettes from SRAM and Shimano, it’s possible to achieve massive gear ranges with only one chainring up front. That makes 1x an ideal configuration for folding bikes, because it reduces maintenance, weight, and complexity. Enjoy all the range of a 20-speed drivetrain, with none of the complications.
The Magnetix 2.0 uses powerful magnets to keep your bike folded for situations like carrying your bike up and down stairs. With a pull force 10-15 Kgf, the Magnetix 2.0 will keep your bike folded even when being jostled and moved about.
Fix the Tern Luggage Truss to the Luggage Socket and you can plug in your choice of front luggage: rack, basket, or bag. If it’s KlickFix compatible, it’ll work.
Frame and Forks
- Frame: Tern Verge, hydroformed aluminium, OCL+ joint, 3 patented technologies
- Forks: Integrated, hi-tensile steel, for disc
- Headset: Flux, cartridge bearings, Physis integrated
- Crankset: Forged 6061-AL, 53 Tooth
- Cassette: 11-36 Tooth, 9 Speed
- Chain: KMC 9 Speed
- Rear Derailleur: Shimano Acera, Shadow RD
- Bottom Bracket: Cartridge, sealed bearings
Braking / Shifting
- Shifters: Shimano, trigger, 1 x 9 Speed
- Front Brake: li>
- Rear Brake: Shimano, hydraulic disc
- Brake Levers: Shimano, hydraulic disc
- Front Hub: Shimano disc
- Rear Hub: Shimano Nexus 7, disc
- Spokes: Stainless steel
- Rims: Kinetix Comp, for disc
- Tyres: Schwalbe Big Apple, 55-406, puncture protection, Reflex
- Handlebars: Flat bar, 6061-Al
- Grips: Velo ergonomic, lock-on
- Stem: Syntace VRO, adjustable, Built for Tern
- Seatpost: SuperOversize, 6061-Al, micro-adjust clamp
- Seatpost Clamp: SuperOversize, 6061-Al
- Saddle: Tern Porter, patented GripPad design
- Pedals: Folding, alloy body
More from this brand
- Tern HSD P10 2023 Electric Cargo Bike£4,100.00
- Tern GSD S00 2023 Electric Cargo Bike£6,100.00
- Tern Link B7 2023 Folding Bike£399.99RRP £650.00Save 38%
- Tern Link C8 2023 Folding Bike£499.00RRP £850.00Save 41%
- Tern Node D8 2023 Folding Bike£799.99RRP £1100.00Save 27%
- Tern Vektron S10 2023 Electric Folding Bike£3,479.00RRP £4100.00Save 15%
- Tern GSD S10 LR 2023 Electric Cargo Bike£5,100.00