Tern GSD R14 20-Inch Folding Electric Bike
Tern specialise in folding bikes and folding electric bikes. Their prime motive other than to provide you with an efficient and user-friendly cycling experience is to help preserve the environment. You will find many well-considered features on all of their models and they are an absolute pleasure to ride.
Still Small. Even More Useful.
With a 200 kg (440 lb) Maximum Gross Vehicle Weight, the GSD is ready to replace your car. It’ll let you carry two kids plus groceries, or a whole lot of cargo—but it’s the same length as a regular bike. Built-in dual-battery technology lets you ride all day, while space-saving features like FlatFold and Vertical Parking make the GSD incredibly easy to own and use.
Carries Your Family
Our ecosystem of passenger-carrying accessories fits your family—now, and five years from now. Carry two little ones in child seats and watch as they grow into (and out of) the Clubhouse. Give your spouse a lift on date night with the Captain’s Chair. Snap a photo of the day your teen graduates to carrying you.
One Size Fits Most
The GSD has an adjustable cockpit that resizes in seconds and without tools to fit riders 150 – 195 cm tall (4’11” – 6’5”), so you can easily share it with your family. The updated frame geometry with a slacker seat tube angle and higher handlebars also means the GSD doesn’t just fit—it’s more comfortable too.
The GSD is made to fit your life, including all your stuff. Our ecosystem of accessories includes a wide range of cargo-carrying designed to keep your loads secure and stable for wobble-free hauling. You may not have thought of using a bike to pick up groceries, home improvement supplies, or plants for your garden—but now you will.
Easy to Manage
The GSD’s unique geometry makes for super stable riding, no matter what you’re hauling (or how wiggly your kids are). The low center of gravity lets even text-smer riders confidently manage heavy loads, and the step-thru frame makes getting on and off the bike a breeze. Plus, we’ve made it easier for the rider’s feet to reach the ground at stops.
Loading heavy cargo or kids on and off a bike can be tricky business, so we created the Atlas Lockstand. It’s an unbelievably strong and stable kickstand that automatically locks into place when engaged. When you’re ready to go, just press the Remote Unlock lever and roll forward.
The Bosch Advantage
All GSD models now feature the best-in-class Bosch Cargo Line motor, which provides up to 85 Nm of torque for a smooth, natural-feeling ride, and 400% support to tackle serious hills. Top it off with Bosch’s unparalleled service and expertise, and you can rest assured that your GSD’s motor system will be safe and reliable for years to come.
Easy to Transport
We think the GSD will help you leave your car behind more often than not. Still, there are times when using a car and a GSD together is the best solution. The GSD packs down to one third of its volume in seconds. Stick a GSD (or two!) in the back of a minivan or small SUV, no heavy-duty rack required.
A regular bike takes up a lot of floor space and can be hard to store in a text-sm living space (never mind getting it in and out of the elevator). We solved this problem by designing the GSD to park vertically, so it takes up about as much space as a potted plant—perfect for city apartments and elevators.
Tough and Tested
EFBE Prüftechnik GmbH, one of Europe’s leading bicycle testing labs, has tested the GSD frame and fork to 200 kg using brutally demanding testing standards that meet and exceed the new German cargo bike standard.
- 200 kg (440 lb) Maximum Gross Vehicle Weight
- Bosch Cargo Line Motor provides up to 85 Nm of torque and 400% support
- Bosch dual-battery system (1000 Wh) for a range of up to 206 km (128 mi)
- Rohloff Speedhub features a 526% gear range, electronic shifting, and automatic downshifting
- Gates CDX Belt Drive is silent, smooth, and virtually maintenance-free
- Adjustable cockpit comfortably fits riders 150 – 195 cm (4’11” – 6’5”)
- Super tough Atlas Lockstand auto-locks when engaged—just press a button on the handlebars to unlock
- Heavy-duty frame-integrated rear rack and integrated lower decks
- Cane Creek Thudbuster ST Suspension Seatpost for an extra-cushy ride
- Always-on RearStop Brake Light helps you safely signal stops
- Ultra-bright Ignis Headlight ensures 24/7 visibility, no matter the weather
- Powerful and responsive Magura MT5 eSTOP 4-piston hydraulic disc brakes
- Integrated Abus Wheel Lock, keyed-alike with the battery
- Upgraded Atlas Wheels with custom CNC machined hubs for extra strength and durability
- Wide range of cargo- and passenger-carrying accessories
- Fits two Thule Yepp Maxi seats, no adapters needed
- Speed: 1 x 14
- Weight: 37.26 kg (82.1 lb)
- Gear inches: 19" - 102" (1.54 - 8.10 m)
- Folding size: 176 × 40.5 × 87 cm (69.3 × 15.9 × 34.3 in)
- Folding time: 5 sec
- Frame sizes: One size
- Distance, seatpost to handlebar: 49 - 59 cm (19.3 - 23.2 in)
- Distance, saddle to pedal: 69 - 105 cm (27.2 - 41.3 in)
- Suggested rider height: 150 - 195 cm (59.1 - 76.8 in)
- Max gross vehicle weight: 200 kg (440.9 lb)
- Max rider weight: 120 kg (264.6 lb)
- Frame: Tern GSD, 6061-AL, patented MultiTruss design, EFBE Tri-Test approved: 200 kg
- Fork: Suntour custom for Tern, 1.5" tapered Chromoly steerer, 32 mm stanchions, Thru-axle, 70 mm travel, EFBE approved: 200 kg
- Handlepost: Tern Physis 3D, 3D forged, 5 patented technologies, 12°, 290 mm
- Stem: Tern Andros, adjustable, forged construction, patented technology
- Headset: Tern Flux Pro Taper, 1.5", angular contact bearings, Physis integrated
- Handlebar: Tern Sweep, 6061-AL, Tern Andros adapted
- Grips/Bar tape: Ergon
- Saddle: Tern GSD by Velo, with rear handle
- Seatpost: Cane Creek Thudbuster G4, Tern Telescope, 34.9/30.9 mm
- Seatpost clamp: Tern Collar, 6061-AL, 2pc
- Front Brake: Magura MT5, 4-piston hydraulic disc, 180 mm rotor, Sport pads
- Rear Brake: Magura MT5, 4-piston hydraulic disc, 180 mm rotor, Sport pads
- Brake levers: Magura MT5 e-stop, hydraulic, with brake sensor
- Front hub: Tern Atlas, Boost Thru-Axle, Cargo-optimized design, sealed cartridge bearing
- Rear hub: Rohloff E14, 526% range, Boost
- Spokes and nipples: Stainless steel, 13G
- Rims: Tern Atlas, ultra wide 36 mm, dual reinforced joint
- Tyres: F: Schwalbe Big Ben Plus, 55-406, Green Guard puncture protection, Reflex R: Tern x Schwalbe Super Moto-X, 62-406, Green Guard puncture protection, Reflex
- Shifters: Rohloff E14, e-shift 14 spd
- Crankset: Tern GSD custom, Gates CDX CNC machined beltring
- Cassette/Freewheel: Gates CDX, precision CNC machined cog
- Bottom bracket: Motor integrated
- Chain: Gates Carbon Drive CDX belt
- Pedals: Urban with non-slip surface, sealed bearings
- Shifter cable and housing: Rohloff E14, e-shift
- Motor: Bosch Cargo Line, 400% Assist, 85 Nm Torque, max speed 25 kph (EU); max speed 20 mph (US)
- Battery: Bosch Dual Battery system, 1000 Wh
- Display: Bosch Intuvia, Rohloff integrated shifting w/ auto downshift
- Range: 1000 Wh: 102-206 km (63-128 mi)
- Charger: 220V, 4A (EU); 100-240V, 4A (US)
Bells and whistles:
- Bell: Pitch Plus, brass
- Chainguard: Tern Custom, full chain cover
- Kickstand: Atlas Lockstand, w/ remote unlock, patented technology
- Luggage socket: Combo Mount
- Front light: Ignis Headlight, Ultra wide 700 lumens, Hi/Lo Beam
- Rear light: RearStop Brake Light, Always on brake light
- Fenders: Integrated Wheel Guard, AL6061, w/ Side Skirt
- Racks: Frame integrated, heavy duty design
- Accessory: ABUS, keyed-alike with Bosch battery