Orange Stage Evo LE 2021 Bike
For those who love their wheels bigger, there's the 29 inch wheeled Stage Evo, it features equally radical geometry numbers, especially for a bike of its category. It majors on adaptability and as such shares the same Evo suspension progression to give our tuned shocks that wonderful bottomless feel. Which wheel size you opt for is a personal choice. If your local terrain brings you long climbs, big descents and teeth chattering root sections the 29er Stage Evo is your perfect rig.
Instantly, you can see the frames are Orange, with our distinctive layout and profiles. They are fabricated in 6061-T6 Aluminium by the craftsmen at our Halifax Frame Works. Brand new tooling and jigs were specifically built and developed for these new models, leaving no stone unturned when it comes to new frames' feature list.
The laterally stiff single-pivot platform is a format we feel we own. We have more experience with this suspension system than any other bike company out there. For us, working with component manufacturers to achieve the perfect shock tunes for our frames is one of the most exciting aspects of the job. It’s a two-way street as the Orange single-pivot system is a perfectly clean platform for manufacturers to develop their shocks with too, So it’s a win-win situation for everyone.
The Evo frames have all the features you would expect from Orange and a few touches you probably may not notice at first glance. To mention a few:
- The Evo’s offset asymmetric pivot gives us scope to run various sizes of chainring or chain-lines (hey, you never know).
- The geometry is designed for a reduced offset fork which allows us to lengthen the cockpit and keep the riders weight balanced in the sweet spot, while making the most of the front wheel’s grip in turns.
- Small details like bottle bosses, cleaner cable routing and space for piggy-back shocks - even on a short travel-platform, show we’ve been listening to our test riders’ feedback and implementing subtle changes that just make everything better.
The Evo Geometry Concept
The thinking behind the Evo geometry on these two models is to bring the feel and confidence of the big-travel enduro bike into the realm of the aggressive short-travel trail bike. With a lighter frame construction and audacious angles these bikes are truly eye-opening.
The geometry has a familiar effective top tube length which means your cockpit is a comfortable space when climbing. Flip that gradient downwards, slam the dropper post and step-up out of the saddle to descend and the Evo comes into its own. The long reach gives the rider plenty of space to move around the bike, keeping the weight over the front wheel - this is also helped by the reduced offset fork.
The slacker Evo head angle lets the fork do its job, right it in the firing line, and keeps everything stable with its long wheel base.
Ultimately you will not believe this is a short-travel platform. Rapid, reactive and beautify balanced, the Evos defy logic. They are the Evolution of the trail bike as we know it.
Frame and Fork
- 6061-T6 Monocoque UK Formed Custom Aluminium Tubing. Wheel Size: 29. Rear wheel travel: 120.
- Fork: RockShox Pike Ultimate 130mm 29
- Swingarm: Bolt Type Allen Key Head (Boost 148mm Hub)
- Rear Shock: RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate 190x45
- Headset: Hope Silver - 49mm for Tapered Steerer
- Crankset: Hope Silver / Black 32t
- Rear Mech: Shimano XT 12spd
- Chain: Shimano XT 12spd
- Shifters: Shimano XT 12spd
- Cassette: Shimano XT 10-51T 12spd
- Bottom Bracket: Hope 30mm Silver
Wheels and Tyres
- Wheelset: E13 TRS 30mm (Grey) + Hope Pro 4 (Silver) 29
- Tyres: Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 3C Exo / DHR II 2.4 Exo 29
- Rim Decals: Grey E13 Rim Decals
- Brakes: Hope Tech 3 E4 Silver/Black 203/180
- Seat Clamp: Hope Bolted Silver
- Stem: Burgtec MK3 Enduro CNC Silver 35mm
- Saddle: SDG Radar Cromo Rail Blk/Orange
- Handlebars: Burgtec RideWide Enduro 800mm
- Grips: Strange 130 Single Lock-On Black
- Seatpost: SDG Tellis 150mm